Thursday, August 30, 2018

Maximum word count for submission

I, like other doctoral candidates, received a letter a few days ago from the DBA operations manager:
From the September meeting of the Doctoral Review Committee (DRC) onwards we will be strictly enforcing a maximum word count for intermediate submissions. Section 1.10.2 of the Introduction to Business Research 2 course recommends a size of 27-30,000 words. The DRC has set the maximum word count at 40,000. Any submissions that exceed this limit will not be considered by the DRC.

I find this somewhat ironic as I was advised a few months ago by my supervisor to cover a few topics which I hadn't originally considered (alignment and horizontal software). As a result, I find now that the intermediate submission as it currently stands has a word count of 36,428 words! The bibliography has slightly over 3,000 words - I don't know whether this is supposed to be included or excluded - but either way, the submission is too large. I found myself going over the submission the other evening and removing papers from the literature review! I shall have to read the literature review and synthesis chapters again, looking for material which I can remove. 

Anyway, I have to rewrite the methodology chapter so hopefully I will be able to lose material which I consider to be extraneous.

No comments: