Tuesday, April 24, 2018

New mp3 player

Despite what I wrote here two months ago, the Sansa mp3 player continually began playing from the first song. A new problem appeared: an error message about there not being enough free memory. I found a way to get around this problem, but it became extremely annoying every time I turned on the player to get past this message then click a few hundred times to get to new songs.

I discovered a similar player on Ebay which costs all of $1(!), so I ordered three. I also ordered a new memory card with a capacity of 32GB. The players arrived a few days ago and the memory card today. I copied all the songs from my current memory card to the computer, and from the computer to the new memory card. Fortunately, the computer recognises the mp3 player and memory card as an external disk, so I won't have to extract the card any more.

The player is extremely basic and made from thin plastic, but it does its work. It seems that it came fully charged, but I connected it to the computer to charge, just to be sure. I gave the player a short tryout - the sound is very good, although the headphone socket is a bit dodgy (sometimes I hear stereo, sometimes mono and sometimes phased stereo). After listening to a few songs, I turned the player off; I turned it on again, and it began playing from the same song (good). 

In common with the last pair of headphones (not the noise cancelling ones), playback begins from the beginning of the song. Normally this isn't much of a problem, but I have downloaded a few complete albums from YouTube which means that one has to listen for forty minutes or skip the track in order to hear something else. This won't be a problem with a three hour train journey, but it's annoying while walking the dog. I have received a 'presidential pardon' and so don't have to travel to Karmiel tomorrow; this would have been a good test of the new player.

[SO: 4742; 5, 24, 44
MPP: 1243; 1, 6, 7]

No comments: