Thursday, April 12, 2018

Apology to Israel Railways

It seems that I was a bit premature in writing yesterday that return train tickets no longer exist. When I was at the Karmiel station prior to returning home, I was in the middle of buying a single ticket when I was approached by one of the staff. As Karmiel is a new station, they have assigned several staff members to help the public in purchasing tickets; one of these approached me.

I asked why it seemed that the automatic ticket machines don't present the possibility of purchasing a return ticket; she said that there does exist the possibility and proceeded to show me how to buy such a ticket, from Karmiel to Bet Shemesh and back. Not only did I get a return ticket, but also because Karmiel is a new station, there is a 50% discount on tickets bought there. As a result, my return ticket cost 53 NIS - exactly the same as my single ticket from Bet Shemesh in the morning! So, the next time that I travel to Karmiel, I don't need to buy a ticket for the journey there; I will buy a return ticket when it's time to return home.

I should point out that I personally don't benefit from this arrangement - my company reimburses me for travel expenses - but I am saving them money (albeit a drop in the ocean).

No comments: