Thursday, August 17, 2017

Submitting an outline

A month ago, I wrote that my university has returned me to the initial stage of doctoral candidacy. During that month I have been twiddling my thumbs, waiting to hear that someone has been assigned to me as a supervisor so that I can submit my new research proposal. I have to admit that I have fast been losing any loyalty to my university and so investigated by means of shallow web searches whether it might be better to start afresh at a different university. None of the doctoral programmes which I checked seemed suitable, and all of them are more expensive than my current option, so I haven't gone any further with this. I ignored any sites which appeared to award degrees in return for money.

Finally last night I received an email from the doctoral programme administrator: "please submit a 3-4 page outline of your intended research, so that I can shop it around and find a suitable supervisor". So I took the 16 page research proposal (which I had already reduced from a 32 page intermediate submission) and edited it brutally, resulting in a four page document, including only a few references. I didn't change any of the wording, but simply left out a great deal. Maybe now things will get moving again.

At least I don't have to pay supervision fees for this stage: I wrote previously to the administrator that I had received very little supervision over the past year, requesting a significant discount. I am also hoping that the period between now and having the research proposal accepted will be short (which would make the fees expensive). Last time, it took from the beginning of March until the end of August (six months), which I was told is fast. I intend to shorten that time.

No comments: