Saturday, February 27, 2016

Chicken breast in tomato sauce

I haven't blogged about cooking for some time. In fact, I haven't blogged for a couple of weeks, either. This has mainly been due to a series of viral infections; the latest has made it very painful to swallow, along with an occasional blocked nose and headache. As I say, I must be very popular with the viruses this year; they are queuing up to spend time with me. 

I decided a few days ago to cook chicken breasts today. Originally I was thinking along the lines of a marinade with olive oil and balsamic vinegar then grilling, but this hasn't been too popular. Then I considered a tomato based marinade (a commercial product), but this was very messy the last time I tried and not particularly tasty. Then I thought that I would make my spaghetti sauce (onions, tomatoes, ketchup and oregano), then cook the breasts in the sauce. This is what I did, and along with the grilled potatoes and boiled cauliflower, the entire meal turned out to be very tasty. So here's the recipe.

Sauce: one diced onion, two diced tomatoes. Fry the onion in oil (I used canola) until the pieces almost turn brown, then add the tomatoes. Continue frying for a few minutes whilst mixing. Add oregano and a 'healthy dollop' of ketchup. I also added a cup of boiling water, which in retrospect was too much. Let this mixture cook for a few minutes.

Slice chicken breasts into strips, then place the breasts into the sauce and simmer for about half an hour (I covered the wide pan).

The results were delicious - and that's not me talking but rather my fellow diners. This recipe will enter the Saturday rotation. Had I been a bit more attentive, I would have taken a picture of the food as it was cooking to show here.

Next up will probably be a variation on shepherd's pie, made from chicken. Next Friday, I'll roast a chicken, adding extra potatoes; as only my wife and I will be dining, we'll eat the legs and the breasts will be left over . On Saturday, I'll take left-over meat, cut it into small pieces and place them at the bottom of a casserole dish along with some chopped carrots and peas; above them I'll place mashed potatoes, some of which were roasted and some freshly boiled. This goes into the oven for about half an hour at 120C, with a few extra minutes under the grill so that the top gets a nice colour. Everyone enjoyed this the last time I made it.

I haven't made meat balls for some time. This is because we have a new supplier of frozen minced beef, and the one batch which I made with this new beef didn't taste very good. Maybe I should try fresh mince (gasp, horror!).

No comments: