Thursday, October 15, 2015

'Intriguing' email

Today I received an email, part of which reads as follows
Are you the author of work entitled « Spreadsheets in an ERP environment: not what the doctor ordered »? It was apparently written at the Heriot-Watt University in 2015. I believe this particular topic could be of interest to a wider audience and we would be glad to consider publishing it. We would be especially interested in publishing a complete academic work of yours (a thesis, a dissertation or a monograph) as a printed book. Our services are free of charge for authors.

The email was sent by someone from Lambert Academic Publishing; the inherent flattery in the mail (I think that my research subject is interesting but not many other people do, and this person divined this from my modest two page article) caught my detector. After a quick search on Academic Stack Exchange, I found a question entitled " Is Lambert Academic Publishing a reputable company? The short answer is "no!".

Here's a link to a very interesting article on the subject, entitled "A Trip Through the Surreal World of an Academic Book Mill".

No comments: