Sunday, April 26, 2015

Vinyl log 6 - 26 April

DayMonthYearArtistTitle
26April1975Richard and Linda ThompsonI want to see the bright lights tonight

I wrote about buying this record a few months ago; I see that I even wrote that I bought it from 'a short lived record shop in West Hampstead'. I don't know whether the part of the road where the shop was sited was already  West End Lane or still Fortune Green Road, but it was opposite the fire station. The past two times when I have been in London (2004 and 2012), I've stayed at a bed and breakfast a bit further down West End Lane, and it's always a pleasure to revisit the stamping grounds of my youth.

That shop opened at the beginning of 1975; I recall that they had some big display for 'The electric muse' 4 lp set which came out at around that time. During the autumn term of 1974, I walked down Fortune Green Road and West End Lane twice a day on my way to the West Hampstead underground station, from there to travel via the Bakerloo line to my university near the Elephant and Castle. But in the spring and summer terms of 1975, I transferred my allegiance to the Golders Green station and the Northern line. It might have been a slightly longer walk but the trains were less crowded in the mornings.

So now I wonder how I knew about this record shop. Maybe they opened in December 1974. 



Funnily enough, in that blog from January, I wrote about walking. What I didn't mention was that a walk lasting 50+ minutes whilst running a program ('MapMyWalk') on the mobile phone would frequently end with an empty battery. It's happened more than a few times in the past two weeks that the phone has turned itself off before I've completed my walk, which means that my records are somewhat incomplete.

I think that I've found the solution to the battery problem: I can start the GPS and MapMyWalk, then remove them from the display (I don't know what this functionality is called). MMW continues working in the background but doesn't continually update the display. This should save a great deal of battery power. I am going to try this out tonight.

No comments: