Sunday, June 01, 2014

Ricotta fritters

I tried another of Jamie Oliver's 15-minute meals: ricotta fritters with tomato sauce.

The ingredients are
400 g ricotta
1 egg
1 tablespoon white flour
40 g parmesan cheese
and flavouring (lemon zest, nutmeg, etc)

I mixed the ingredients, then added eight dollops of the mix to a frying pan with a little olive oil inside. Unlike Jamie, my fritters did not turn "nice and golden"; some parts seemed uncooked whereas other parts seemed burnt (the picture on the left comes from Jamie's site, and is not the dog's breakfast that I prepared). After a while, I gave up trying to create separate fritters and instead mashed the entire mix and spread it out in the pan. When I judged that it was cooked, I poured my version of a tomato sauce into the pan and cooked for a few minutes more.

The meal turned out to be reasonably tasty, although I strongly suspect that this was due to the tomato sauce and not the cheese part. I don't know what went wrong: maybe I didn't put in enough flour, maybe Jamie's ricotta has a higher fat content (and less water) than mine, maybe he used a non-stick pan.... Looking up ricotta on the wiki shows that it should have about 13% fat; my ricotta had only 5% fat and I assume that this is the problem.

Here's a different recipe -
2 cups flour
2 eggs
1½ cups milk
⅓ cup caster sugar 
2 heaped tablespoons ricotta cheese 

Next time around, I'll try this alternate recipe, although there's still no guarantee that it will work with 5% fat ricotta as opposed to 13% fat. 

No comments: