Monday, February 03, 2014

Philip Seymour Hoffman

I was greatly saddened when I learnt of the death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman on yesterday evening's TV news. I very much appreciated his acting and the films in which he appeared. He was a consummate character actor - meaning that he rarely was the star of a film but was nonetheless very good.

A news report can be found here.

I checked my film database this morning and discovered that he appears in 14 of the films which I have, making him one of the most frequent actors to appear (my database of course is a very subjective study and does not mean much in the real world). I especially enjoyed him in 'Patch Adams', 'The talented Mr Ripley', 'State and Main' (go you Huskies) and 'Almost famous'.

I was extremely surprised to learn of the manner of his death, supposedly a heroin overdose, and also learn that he used to be an alcoholic and drug addict in his younger years.

He will be missed.

No comments: