Friday, July 05, 2013

Doug Engelbart, inventor of computer mouse, dies at 88

Read the obituary here.

I first head of Engelbart years ago when I read Stephen Levy's seminal book 'Hackers'. I came to the computer revolution relatively late as far as the events in the book, but reasonably early compared to most people.

I first worked with a computer at the beginning of 1983: a terminal (typewriter and printer) which was connected by landline to a PDP/11 computer some 20km away. A few years later, we got screens and keyboards along with our own PDP/11 which was a huge improvement. In around 1984, I was teaching programming in Pascal on Apple computers using the UCSD system and eventually wrote my own 'book' called Pascalgraphics. I bought my first IBM clone in 1985 (1986?) and remember taking a university class in Prolog at the same time.


No comments: