Monday, February 27, 2012

More spooks

I wrote seven weeks ago about watching this prize-winning television series. Then I was in the middle of the fourth series ... little did I know what awaited me. I've just seen the third episode of series 8 and I have to admit to being shocked. Somehow, previous cast deaths had left me somewhat apathetic but today's episode left me speechless.

A few weeks ago I found the tv tropes homepage, a site which describes and notates all the various tropes which are used in television and film. As far as Spooks is concerned, [it was] a show where Anyone Can Die: Most of the time when you finally grasp who the main characters of the story are, you can expect that these characters will survive through the end of the story. Well, this is not that trope.

If earlier series of Spooks hinted that someone was going to disappear by adding a new actor, the past few episodes have seen a total demolition of the staff with no replacements arriving in advance. Thus there is no warning that someone is about to die.....

I have managed to get my wife addicted to the series as well, although she didn't see the early series and hasn't had much time lately to watch. A few weeks ago, when I was in Tel Aviv, I knew that she intended to catch up on a few episodes, including the series 7 opener. She telephoned me to say that she was crying after the death of ...; according to the Spooks forum, this was not an uncommon event. I had purposely not warned her of what was going to happen. Probably by the time she gets to this episode, I will be somewhere else and will have forgotten what happens.

No comments: