Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Unthanks/2

I can tell when a piece of music has got under my skin: I dream about it. I woke up this morning at about 2am after dreaming almost constantly that I was a judge on the Israeli version of 'American Idol' and had to decide who would go through to the next stage of the contest: Rachel Unthank or Becky Unthank.

Of course, it didn't help that I had been listening to 'The Bairns' on my journey to and from MBA studies yesterday evening, nor did it help that when I got home, my wife was watching the Israeli version of 'American Idol', in which the contestants were performing as duos and the judges had to decide who would go through to the next stage of the contest. The repetition here is intentional.

There are nights when I seem to dream the same thing over and over (each night is a different dream, but within each night, the dream gets repeated), which can be very exhausting.

I've got to the stage where I can tell the girls' voices apart: Becky's is more breathy, if that is a legal adjective. She sings the first verse of 'Blackbird', whereas Rachel sings the second verse. The differences between their vocal tones are becoming more apparent every time I listen. I have to admit that I find that breathy quality somewhat arousing.

My fellow blogspot blogger, "Plastic Bag", has also written a few blogs about 'The Bairns'.

No comments: