Friday, November 12, 2010

What are the 10 Songs that defined one's tastes?

I haven't written much about music lately, primarily because music has had to take a back seat in my life in the past few months, and there hasn't been any new music that has entered my life. In lieu of something more up to date, I include here a posting which I sent to the Richard Thompson mailing list a fortnight ago which answers the above question.

I suppose one has to define what a "song that defined one's taste" means before answering. I take this to mean the songs that made the biggest impression on me when I started listening to music "properly" (aged 13-14), which for me would be 1970/1 (I list the years below). Each song defines for me a genre (although I'm not so sure about King Crimson - VdGG meant and still means much more to me).

1. The Beatles - I want to hold your hand (1963)
2. The Beach Boys - God only knows (1966)
3. Fairport Convention - Who knows where the time goes (Unhalfbricking version) (1970)
4. Van der Graaf Generator - Refugees (1970)
5. Frank Zappa - Peaches en regalia (1970)
6. King Crimson - Epitaph (1970)
7. Randy Newman - I think it's going to rain today (1971)
8. Dave Evans - Grey lady morning (1971)
9. The Band - It makes no difference (1978)
10. Robin Frederick - Water falls down (2003)

Looking at this list today, I would probably substitute "Winter wine" by Caravan for "God only knows" - WW was my entree into Canterbury music.

No comments: