Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sumptuous Sunday

One music blog to which I subscribe uses alliterative titles for the days of the week, eg Traditional Thursday. On that basis, today's entry will be Sumptuous Sunday, in which I discuss the various dishes which I cooked over the weekend.

The slow cooker was definitely the star this weekend. For Friday night, I prepared again chicken drumsticks and rice (10 drumsticks, a cup and a half of rice, 1 litre coca cola, one diced onion: place in slow cooker and cook for three hours on high, one hour on low), which my wife enjoyed. The children (now young adults) didn't like the way the rice turned out, so I won't cook this dish again for a Friday.

For lunch yesterday, I tried out a recipe which I had found on an Israeli slow cooking blog. From the supermarket, I bought a packet of frozen chicken breasts; once thawed, this revealed four breasts, which I sliced lengthways, making eight portions. The weight was around 1.2 kg. I diced an onion, mixed the pieces with two tablespoons of olive oil, and then spread the resulting mix onto the bottom of the slow cooker. On top of the onions I placed the chicken breasts, and on top of the breasts I smeared a mixture of mayonnaise and jam (two tablespoons each). The original recipe also called for another two tablespoons of mustard, but we didn't have any at home (I thought that we did have, but my wife threw the container out). I set the slow cooker to cook for four hours on low. I served the breasts with cabbage and my patent mashed potato.

The result was sublime. I had been worried about the lack of liquid available, but instead of having too much free liquid bubbling, the recipe produced a sauce of a nice consistency. Next time around, I'm going to reduce the amount of onion; it will be interesting to see what contribution the mustard makes to the sauce.

No comments: