Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The gravy boat

My logo states that the blog contains random comments from a working programmer, an amateur chef and a frustrated musician. The previous blog was from the frustrated musician and the one before that was from the working programmer, so I suppose that this blog has to be written by the amateur chef.

I didn't cook supper on Friday night; a few days previously, my 22 year old daughter said that she wanted to cook cottage pie for us. Her interest in cooking started when she was in Australia a few years ago and had to start looking after herself; she now avidly watches cooking programs on television (Gordon Ramsay is a particular favourite, although I'm not too sure how much a neophyte chef can learn from him). The pie itself was a bit watery; when I asked her about this, she said that she added water to the meat. ??? I asked myself.

On Saturday, I cooked again chicken breasts in the slow cooker. The supermarket didn't have the usual frozen chicken breasts so I had to make do with chicken shnitzel. This is basically the same, but the cuts are thinner and so cooked more quickly, a fact which I did not take into account. The sauce is counter-intuitive: mayonnaise, jam and mustard. I am tempted to add some peanut butter to this mix to see what effect that has.

Having started making sauces, I have been looking for the past month or so for a gravy boat in which to serve them; I've looked in several shops which sell kitchen utensils but without success.
During my searches, I also discovered what it's called in Hebrew, although I suspect that many people won't know the word (although it's derived from the word for sauce and thus immediately understandable). In the end, I started looking for a local supplier on the Internet and found one rapidly enough (the above picture is from their website). The postage is more expensive than the boat itself, but together they cost barely more than a kilo of beef, so I'm not complaining. It arrived in the post yesterday and today my wife will pick it up; on Friday, I'll serve something in it (although I haven't yet decided what to serve).

No comments: