Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Tuna mousse

Last week, my wife and I were invited to a party hosted by a couple on the kibbutz. The food was all non-meat and included two fish mousses: one made from tuna and one made from salmon. They both were very tasty and seemed simple to make, so I downloaded a recipe and tried my hand.

Here is the recipe:
1 170g can of tuna, drained
1 small onion, chopped
6 tablespoons of mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of ketchup  (this may well be unnecessary)
1 teaspoon of vinegar
1 sachet of gelatin
150 ml boiling water
150 ml cold water

I mixed the tuna, onion, mayonnaise, ketchup and vinegar together until a smooth consistency was achieved. The recipe recommends doing this in a food processor but I don't have one. I did try in the blender (which I normally use for milk shakes) but everything clogged up due to a lack of liquid, so this wasn't very successful. Maybe I should try blending only the onions and then add the resulting liquid to the other ingredients.

In a separate bowl, I added the gelatin powder to the water and stirred until all the powder had dissolved. Then I added this liquid to the rest of the ingredients and mixed thoroughly.

The next and final stage of the recipe required me to pour the mixture into a mould and then refrigerate. I don't have such a mould in the kitchen, so I looked for something suitable. Eventually I found two cd containers - I buy disks in bulk in a plastic container with a spindle. The outside cover of the container seemed suitable, so I cleaned two of these (thanking my foresightedness in not throwing the empty ones out) and then poured the tuna mix into them. Playing safe, I put the containers into the freezer.

The next morning, I took the containers and put them in the refridgerator, and in the evening they were suitable for spreading. Both my wife and I had tuna mousse on bread for dinner, and the results were encouraging. I thought that there was too much onion but my wife thought otherwise. If I were serving the mousse on a plate, I would probably use an ice cream scoop in order to transfer the mousse to the plate.

A simple dish with no cooking: perfect for the summer.

No comments: