Saturday, April 17, 2010

A typical Saturday

I've noticed over the past few months that I have been planning on a hourly basis how to spend my Saturdays, nominally my day of rest. There always seems to be so much to do and so little time in which to do it that one needs to prepare in advance in order to get the maximum utility (a little economics creeping in there).

Normally, the day consists of two episodes, each two hours in duration, of programming; one two hour session reviewing the material taught in the MBA class the day previously; one two-three hour session of cooking and spending time with my father (today we're having chicken ratatouille, with a slight variation of last time's recipe); one two hour session transferring to dvd a film recorded earlier in the week which I didn't have time to watch. There is also the dog who has to be walked.

Today's schedule was upset by devoting what would normally be the morning programming session to creating a new mix cd for my wife. As usual an eclectic mix, moving from the well known (Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, CS&N, The Band) to my folk rock roots (R&L Thompson, Sandy Denny, Nick Drake), interspersed with a few left field contributions (Heron, Colin Blunstone, King Crimson, Robin Frederick, Dar Williams). The response hasn't been too positive yet, but I am hoping that the disk will be played frequently in the car and will become more familiar.

No comments: