Thursday, October 22, 2009

Dollhouse

One of our satellite tv stations showed the first episode of Fox's new series, "Dollhouse". Intrigued by the promos which have been screened daily for the past few weeks, I decided to record the programme (as it's broadcast at an inconvenient hour for me).

Yesterday morning, I watched the first ten minutes or so, completely unable to fathom what was happening. In fact, I spent most of that time trying to figure out why the leading actress (Eliza Dushko) looked so familiar*, and in doing so, completely missed the fact that an actress that I had admired only the day before (Olivia Williams) was appearing.

During the day, I looked up the IMDB reference and began to understand what the show might be telling me. In the evening, I watched the programme from beginning to end. I needn't have bothered. After the very confusing first ten minutes (consisting of three or four scenes which appear to have absolutely nothing in common aside from the aforementioned Ms Dushko), the programme then turned into a high action, low meaning adventure story which did not interest me in the slightest. Once again, I am reminded why I don't like watching American tv series (aside from The West Wing and certain cartoon families).

On the basis of this opening salvo, and considering the programme's broadcast hours, I can't see myself watching it again.

* Yes, Ms Dushko was a cheerleader in "Bring it on". She does look vaguely like singer Natalie Imbruglia.

No comments: