Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Moving office

The powers that be decided that our factory should be moved to a new building. I think that the decision was based on two factors:
  1. Not being satisfied with our current arrangements (where the raw materials warehouse is 4km from the production areas!)
  2. A reduction in the volume of orders means that the current leased floor space is too large
So we're moving to a brand new building, about 500 metres away. As it's new, everything has to be installed - primarily electricity, but also sprinklers, telephone wires, network cables, plumbing - and an office has to be built. Due to the scarcity of space, the office consists of two separate floors.

Each cubicle looks at the moment to be very small. I have been given to understand that my table will fit in the space allotted me, but I don't know what else will fit. Maybe it's time to start a diet, so that I will be able to slide between the wall and the desk in order to get to my chair.

The server room has also been reduced in size; I gave an estimate of the minimum amount of space that I need, and that's the size that I've been given. What I didn't know is that one wall of this 'room' - the outside wall - is mostly taken up with a window! This is bad on several accounts:
  1. Anyone can break in through the window (so bars are supposed to be fitted)
  2. Too much light comes in
  3. Too much heat comes in
  4. Valuable wall space is lost - there is equipment which could have been fixed on the wall in that area.
Today we spent a few hours packing up. It's interesting to note how many cartons have been left unpacked since our previous move, 20 months ago. I have a real problem with throwing things away, but this time I was able to part with ten (or more) old printer cables, an external modem, uncounted electricity cables, old ink cartridges for printers that no longer exist, a few L120 cassettes, ad infinitum. I could also part with documentation relating to the upkeep of my old Alpha server which was decommissioned several years ago.

No comments: